Monday, January 28, 2008

Ever after

Every story has a beginning, middle, and end. At least, according to a friend (acquaintance) of mine. However, having seen far too many poorly written pieces for the theater and having read equally badly written stories, I have to disagree.

A good story has a beginning, middle, and an end. Perhaps that's why movies that lop off the ending completely get mixed reviews. Some people appreciate the lack of a clearly stated ending to No Country for Old Men, or preferred to apply their own imagined ending to The Sopranos.

Personally, I prefer an ending. Call me old-fashioned, but somehow when I immerse myself in a movie, or tv show, or book, I am taking a break from the uncertainties of my own life. Before I got married, it was the uncertainty of ever finding someone who I would truly love and who would love me in return. And when I would watch a sappy romantic comedy, I would admire the notion that here was a story, including the before, during, and end - happy or not, of a romance.

Now I get to deal with other uncertainties... will we ever be out of debt? Will we ever own a home? Will we have a child of our own? Will I stay at home or work? Will I ever go back to losing weight and achieve my goal? So I'm here, in the middle of my middle, and there are many endings I have yet to reach. I don't see any new beginnings headed my way for a while, so in middle-earth I'll wait.

And while I'm waiting, I'd like to enjoy the end of somebody else's story. It doesn't have to be a happy ending, I'm not one of "those" people. Just tell me a good story. Tell me where it begins, what happens in between, and what happens in the end. Maybe it will help me to appreciate my own middle more (in more ways than one).

No comments:

Post a Comment