Monday, June 23, 2008

My Mission In Life

I’m really trying to figure out just what that is.

I never really gave it much thought before I got married… what my purpose was, what I was “made” to do. Of course, now, by virtue of being married and having a BA under my belt, I feel like some of those decisions were made along the way. Life is what happens while you’re busy planning (or, in my case, not planning) for the future, right?

So I’m working on this whole concept of a mission statement. My personal little mantra that I read over and over and allow to guide my life. There are about 10 “I will” statements that follow this, but this is what is, as of today, my mission statement. I’m open to refining it, but for now I feel like I have to stop being such a perfectionist and just go with it:

I am made to live a life of love, starting with God and extending to the people around me, to pursue growth and health; spiritually and personally, and to strive for excellence in everything that I choose to do.

One thing that is becoming clear to me (ha ha, thanks Dr. Rocklin), is that my focus on health is extremely imbalanced. I’m extremely concerned with relational, emotional, and spiritual health, and strive to maintain it in all the venues I find myself in, but I absolutely neglect my physical health. Not just my weight, but that’s a large part of it.

And if you skip ahead to the striving for excellence ideal, I’m not striving for that in my physical health. I think that affects all of the other areas of health as well.

I know I bring that concept up a lot, of the need to lose weight, yada yada yada. But I’m really just trying to wrap my head around it in a way that actually motivates and inspires me to do something about it.

For now, I think my next steps are to read 7 Habits (finally) and Getting Things Done. Earlier this evening I was telling Aaron that I really need to figure out how to eat an elephant. He said, “trunk first,” but I meant the part about being one bite at a time.

1 comment:

  1. I like this post... one of my favs! I think this is something to hard to put into words, onto paper and i think it changes. Where you are in life, what is going on in your life at one time, things changes, we adapt... sometimes the mission stays the same sometimes it also changes! So hard!
    I also like the fact, you have connected the dots between your life patterns and your weight. It makes so much sense, I mean I totally agree with you! But getting to the bottom of the problem, like this mission statement not being perfect! I <3 it! Please keep me updated on your finial draft.

    ReplyDelete