Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Now What?


Pictured you see the foods I'm trying to incorporate into my diet, per some article that I'm deciding to trust about foods that have proven value when eating them intentionally to aide in weight loss.

Asparagus, already a favorite of mine, now I just have an excuse to buy eat and eat more of it. And giggle at the side effects of eating a lot of it.

Green tea... oh, how I don't love thee. I would much rather be sipping a cup of coffee than drinking tea, but it has antioxidant value and apparently drinking so much coffee has me fairly addicted and most likely eating more than I should. I will wholeheartedly agree that I need to cut back on the caffeine, at very least, so this switch to my morning routine is difficult but with a forseeable reward; even if I don't come out on the other side weighing approximately 40lbs less than I do right now, at least I'll be less addicted to coffee.

Pine nuts, which always make me think of Best in Show, make a great snack that supposedly improve the gastrointestinal tract and digestive functions, as well as suppress appetite. I'm all for it! Now if only their caloric content was a little more appealing... at 210 calories for 2 tablespoons, I know it's terrible but I feel like I'd rather snack on a 100-calorie pack of cookies or candies. Uh-oh, is my sugar-junkie showing? Moving on...

Pomegranates! I LOVE pomegranates! Even if just for the unique factor. And I even looked up an easier way to get to teh seedy goodness inside. Last night I enjoyed a pomegranate with a couple of dollops of frozen cool-whip like substance. Hey, I've got to have something that I can call a treat!

Millet. When I first saw millet on the page I immediately thought of a bird feeding contraption I had seen once in a Highlights magazine growing up. And while it is typically found in birdfeed,it actually is a whole grain that is good for you. As long as it's hulled, of course. I looked first at Trader Joe's, but they didn't carry it. The girl suggested Henry's (yes, I gasped inside at the thought), but I went to Henry's and sure enough, they had it in bulk. Now as far as how to eat the stuff, I'm still working on that.

I'm not just going to start eating those foods, I'm also going to be tracking my calories via Tweet What You Eat. I made myself a "star chart" and invested a whopping 65 cents into some foil star labels to give myself stars for doing things like getting up by 7 (which leaves plenty of time to walk the dog in the morning), and exercising, and going to bed at a decent hour, and drinking enough water, and staying under 1600 calories a day. And if I meet all of my goals in a day, I get a "bonus" star. :) I set up rewards based on how many stars I get over the next 40 days. They say it takes 40 days to make or break a habit, so here goes.

Wish me "luck"! And by luck, I mean perseverance.

1 comment:

  1. You cook Millit just like rice. It's actually one of my favorite grains to eat. It's really good in a casserole.

    ReplyDelete