Thursday, December 18, 2008

Please, Christmas, don't be late

One of my favorite Christmas songs is still The Chipmunk Song. You know, the one that says "we can hardly stand the wait, please Christmas don't be late"? 

I remember when I was a kid, it felt like Christmas could never come fast enough. Time seemed to actually slow down after the hoopla of my November birthday and Thanksgiving, just to taunt me with the nearness of Christmas.

Aaron has this theory that when you're young, time goes by slowly because it's so relative to how long you've been perceiving time. I'm really starting to believe that. Every year it seems like the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas gets shorter and shorter. I'm just now starting to feel like it's "Christmas time."

I have other friends who think that it goes by more quickly as an adult because of all the responsibilities; presents, decorations, celebrations...

Whether it's one or the other or a mix of the two, I definitely feel the effect this year. I still listen to that Christmas song, but it seems more whimsical now if only because I would rather say "please Christmas, slow your roll."  

1 comment:

  1. Kim...
    The time between Christmas and Thanksgiving WAS shorter this year since Thanksgiving came a week later... so actually you aren't too late.

    ReplyDelete