Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Humblicious

This morning, I was a jerk.

I was in a bit of a rush to get in and out of the drive-thru at Starbucks to get to a meeting here at the office. There was a lady who turned in front of me, not rudely - just as in, she was in front of me at the light, turned into the same driveway I was going into, took the same path I was taking.

Instead of being a calm and patient driver, I was following her pretty closely, feeling my impatience and rushedness burning hot in my cheeks. She stopped right at the entrance to the drive-thru, and was making "what the heck" gestures at me in her mirror. So I threw up my hands and said "I'm just waiting." Not that she could hear me.

After that, I realized I was being an idiot. As I sat behind her and waited for her to place her order, I thought to myself that I should try to buy her drink. Make some sort of peace offering, or be kind to an enemy so as to heap hot coals on her head, one of the two (okay, maybe a little of both). When I pulled up to the speaker to order, the barista on duty informed me that the lady in front of me was going to be buying my drink.

Doh!

So for breakfast today, I had a free vanilla latte, along with a blueberry scone that I added on at the window, and a big slice of humble pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment