Friday, February 22, 2008

Imperfection: Why This Blog Exists

It's difficult to be both a human and a perfectionist.

The name of this blog is "Are We There Yet?" because it is something I often find myself asking, or wanting. My husband gets frustrated because I can't seem to enjoy the journey, whether it be a long road trip or a trial in life... I am all about the destination.

Yet, I'm learning, slowly, that my God is not a God of destinations. My God is a God of journeys, and adventures, and learning. Learning patience, learning peace, learning love, learning kindness, gentleness, and self-control. My life is going to be full of struggles and adversities, even if they're relatively tame. We all have a cross to bear, whether you believe in my cross or not.

I admit, I get whiny along the way. I get grumpy, and tired, and I don't always want to be nice. I often want to take out my frustration on people with my car, or snap at Aaron when I've had a bad day, or complain about whatever random discomfort I happen to be experiencing. These are among many of my imperfections. My embarrassing moments of being ungrateful, unteachable, and obstinate.

That's what this blog is about. I don't believe that anyone is meant to go through life alone, living from day to day, without sharing their experiences with someone else. Sure, I'll spare you some of the gory details. But as long as I'm striving towards this goal, working towards perfection (which I'll never reach while I'm alive), I'll write about it. I'll write about tools that help me to be a better employee, a better wife, a better "pack-leader", a better steward, a better friend, and a healthier human being. Because these things will always be shifting, changing, evolving. Parts of me will be dying while other parts thriving.

No comments:

Post a Comment