Monday, July 21, 2008

My Funeral

Come And Listen - David Crowder Band

This song, Come and Listen, by David Crowder Band, is the perfect song for a funeral. Not that it's depressing, because it isn't. But I'm sitting here, listening to it, and thinking about how this song describes this beautiful exchange that I want my life to be. When I hear this song, I picture people coming to hear a great story. Not some guy forcing people to hear about how they're sinners and need to repent, but inviting them, and them coming willingly to hear something different. Something hopeful.

I honestly don't think my life is anything special, but by the time I'm done here, I want to believe that there could be people who will want to know more about God because of the way I lived out his love for me, for them. I want people to see him as a real possibility, where maybe they didn't before. For people to see a loving God as a reality and for stories that I've played some small part in to be shared as a beautiful remnant of a life well-lived.

When it's all said and done, I don't want my life to have been about what I've accomplished, what kind of clothes I wore, or what kind of house I lived in. I want my life have been about doing impossible things, loving recklessly, and giving with abandon. Most importantly, I want people to want to hear that, to want to see that maybe I did have some outside help.

Not that I need any glory for it, but that it would all go back to the one who stands at the finish line, telling me, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

No comments:

Post a Comment