Saturday, October 27, 2007

Fighting the Air

This morning I got up and ate breakfast and went to the gym. I went to Advanced Step, which never leaves me burning less than 400 calories. At least, according to my Mio Shape Select. I go to two other classes during the week, one weight class and one kickboxing class. In those I usually burn somewhere between 300 and 375 calories.

But I haven't lost a pound.

I know it takes a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1 pound, so if I've been doing this for 4 weeks wouldn't you think I would have dropped at least a pound, even if just one single solitary pound? And I have changed my eating habits, I'm taking in fewer calories - at least, I think I am. Maybe I need to kick start this weight loss by keeping track of my calories for a few weeks.

It just feels like I'm fighting and pushing and making no progress. I get defeated easily, and discouraged, and often I just want to give up and go dip some french fries in a vanilla milkshake. But I know that's what I'm "supposed" to do. There is someone who wants me to give up, to throw in the towel, to quit. And even if I am just fighting the air and going nowhere, I'm going to keep at it just to spite the one who wants to destroy me.

I may be tempted, I may be tested. I may fall, I may sink, I may stumble. I may gain weight, I may lose money, I may lose face. I might sleep too much, eat too much, think too much.

But there is one who will always come to my rescue. In his time, not mine. Eventually I will be in a place of security and safety, where comfort and blessing abound. If I'm lucky, I may experience that in this life. If I work hard, and discipline myself, maybe I can win the battle with my weight. One thing I know, that I am loved. That love never fails, and that love protects.

No comments:

Post a Comment