Thursday, April 3, 2008

Humble Thyself

coffeeLast week's focus was peaceful. Ah, calm serenity and freedom from the stress of life.

However, if I were to ask my resident teacher, Mr. Caloca, he would probably give me a D+ at best for last week.

So, I'm fast-forwarding to humble, and how I've got a long ways to go.

I'm going to start here by saying that I have almost completely fallen off track with my weight loss goals, as evidenced by the above picture of yesterday's breakfast. Yikes! This week, I have also consumed 2 orders of french fries (though I want to limit myself to 1 serving per month), an aptly named fatburger, a slice of wedding cake, an order of onion rings, a heaping serving of Mexican food, an ice cream sundae, a Black Forest from the Coffee Bean, a root beer float, some Dr. Pepper and some Coke.

This is why, my friends, Kim has gained weight over the last year instead of losing. And in an attempt to be humble, I'm laying it out here for what will hopefully be encouraging or otherwise edifying for you as a reader.

I have also learned that I am a bit of a snob when it comes to my coffee. Not that I "have" to have Starbucks, though I do enjoy it. However, where I found myself being a snob can be found in the pic. See that lid? It says "Solo" on it. Just like the lids at the donut shop, or that you might buy from Costco if you were running a coffee house out of your garage. I actually found it disturbing. A couple weeks ago I noticed it and thought the store must have run out of lids. But no, today, after ample time to get a supply order, I still see that Solo with all the other standard indentations glaring up at me as I sip my $1.85 cup of coffee.

And it offends me.

Yes, I admit, that's weird. Here's where that humility comes in. I catch myself obsessing over these markings on my coffee lid, deciding that Starbucks lids used to be more classy, absent of any marking and smooth to the touch. I realize that I'm, for lack of better words, an ass. For being indignant, and not even slightly at that, over the impression on my plastic disposable coffee lid.

I have a long road ahead of me, in more ways than one.

Another discovery this week was that of the generosity and ability of our parents to help us out. Thanks to them, we were able to sign documents to offer to purchase a home tonight. It's a waiting game from here, and it's a short sale, so it might not go... but I am truly humbled because I know if it weren't for them there would be no way this could happen.

Has anyone heard the Norah Jones song "Humble Me?" It's actually really pretty. There's a lot of stuff about a baby daddy and whatnot, but this is the part that gets me:

You humble me Lord
You humble me Lord
I'm on my knees empty
You humble me Lord
You humble me Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment